Summer's End (was New Hampshire Highlands)
Summer's End 2023 has happened! We do not yet have dates for 2024, but for information as it becomes available, watch this page or sign up for our mailing list.
Scottish Country Dance Weekend, August 25 - 27, 2023
Hulbert Outdoor Center
Summer’s End — August 25-27 — new Covid-19 policy
Because of success with a similar policy implemented earlier this summer at Pinewoods, the Summer’s End committee has changed its policy to the following;
• All participants are expected to be fully vaccinated and boosted to the extent that you can be, consistent with the advice of your medical provider. We highly recommend having the most recent booster possible. Upload an image of your vaccination card or output from a government app when you register or e-mail it to SummersEndSCD@gmail.com.
• We expect you to perform a rapid test upon arrival Friday and again before dinner on Saturday and show us the results. Although we don’t require it, I would recommend also testing before you leave home.
• N-95 or equivalent masks will still be required through Saturday afternoon for all indoor events, except when eating or within your dorm room.
• However, if the rapid-test results for all attending are negative for both Friday and Saturday, the masks will be optional for Saturday evening and Sunday morning.
Staff for 2023:
Katherine Giacoletti, Wyncote PA
Lance Ramshaw, Concord MA
Jen Schoonover, Rockland MA
Peter Macfarlane, music director and fiddle
Viveka Fox, fiddle
Aaron Marcus, piano
Nate Silva, piper
Pricing for 2023:
Double room, waiting list — $395 Places available on
first-come, first-serve basis. If you can’t assigned
to a double room, you will be notified, and may then
elect a full refund, or to be assigned to a quad-occupancy
room, with refund of the difference, based on when you paid.
Dormitory (quad occupancy) -- $310 *
Tent -- $275 *
Participation, including meals, but with housing you arrange offsite -- $265 *
Linens -- not included, but available for an extra $10
* Prices shown are per person, with registration and full payment before June 24, 2023. After June 24, add $25.
About Summer's End
Summer’s End, formerly New Hampshire Highlands, is held the fourth full weekend in August at the Hulbert Outdoor Center in Fairlee, VT.
This is a camp run year-round by the Aloha Foundation, which also runs a number of other camps in the area. It is set overlooking Lake Morey, where swimming, boating and fishing are available. There are hiking trails nearby.
Housing is in modern bunkhouses, divided into four rooms, each housing four campers. Just down the hall, you’ll find sinks, flush toilets and hot showers. Platform tents are also available for a lower cost.
For dancing, there are two larger spaces, one of which hosts the evening parties, and several smaller spaces, suitable for classes.
The camp session runs from Friday afternoon through Sunday morning, and includes five meals. There are three class sessions on Saturday where you’ll have the choice of a graded or special-interest class. On Sunday morning there’s another, mixed-level class, open to all. There is live music for all classes and the two evening dance parties. There is an evening ceilidh on Saturday, where participants are encouraged to contribute a short musical or dance performance, skit, story, or joke. In addition, there’s a welcome party, an ice cream social, and an afternoon tea.
The original, “ancestor” Scottish Country Dance weekend began in late 1980’s at Hillsboro Camp and was called “Summer’s End,” and with the move to Vermont, we’re returning to that name. In 1995 a new, separate organization began running a similar weekend event at the same location called “Hillsboro Highlands.” One of the goals of that organization was to provide live music for all classes and evening parties. When Hillsboro Camp closed to outside groups in 2007, the event was moved to the St. Methodios Faith and Heritage Center, run by the Boston Archdiocese of the Greek Orthodox Church, in Contoocook, NH, and the name was changed to New Hampshire Highlands.
2899 Lake Morey Rd
Fairlee, VT 05045