Pinewoods Sessions 2023
Scottish Session I: July 7-10, 2023
Save the dates! For more information about the 2023 sessions,
sign up for our mailing list, or watch
Scottish Session II: July 10-15, 2023
The folllowing information is from the 2022 sessions.Join us in 2022 in the woods of Plymouth for Scottish dancing beneath the tall pines. You'll enjoy dance and music classes during the day and a dance party every night, plus after-parties, auctions, ceilidhs (known to the outside world as talent shows), and more!
Each year there is a theme for the week's events. This year's theme has not been chosen yet. More details are coming -- stay tuned.
This is the schedule of fees for 2022:
- Session 1 (July 8-11): $380 ($355 RSCDS members)
- Session 2 (July 11-16): $450 ($425 RSCDS members)
- both sessions (July 8-16): $780 ($730 RSCDS members)
There is an additional fee for online payment, but you are always welcome to send a check. The online application form will prompt you as to whether you wish to send a check or pay electronically.
Scottish sessions often fill up in advance. Any applications received before April 1 will be given priority, and if necessary they will be entered into a lottery for available slots. Any applications received after April 1 will be placed on a wait list.
2022 Teaching and music staff
The teaching staff includes the two from abroad (Canada and England) who have been hoping to come for the past several years as well as Ellie Briscoe, plus Arthur McNair and Jen Schoonover sharing a position (each half-time, both sessions), with Jen teaching some highland and some conditioning classes.
The music staff is headed by Tom Pixton (accordion and piano) as director and includes a stellar lineup:
- an illustrious fiddler from Aberdeenshire, Scotland, who has been to Pinewoods once before some years ago
- Ryan McKasson, Catherine Miller, and Anne Hooper (session 1) and Mara Shea (session 2) on fiddle
- Beth Murray and Jacqueline Schwab on piano
- Barbara Pixton on piano and bass
- Nate Silva on pipes
- Sue Chari on sound
Documents for 2022
- Online application form
- Camper jobs list
- Evening dance diagrams (session I) and (session II)
- Evening dance notes (session I) and (session II)
- Evening dance combined notes/diagrams (session I) and (session II)
- Session I dances on strathspey.org
- Session II dances on strathspey.org
- If you are using the Mobile SCD App, the lists are session I: 32659, session II: 32661
- Party planner
- Class descriptions (coming soon -- stay tuned)
- Class selection for campers
- What to bring
- Hospitality and rides coordinator, Keira Hartstein
- Pinewoods Gazette *
- Dances taught in 2022
* A printed copy of the Gazette will be available to each camper upon arrival.
This year a customized, prefilled accepted camper form is being emailed to campers who are accepted to Pinewoods Scottish Sessions. Please contact us if you have any questions or wish us to send you another link to the form.